Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A step back in time

One month in Athens....and even though it is passing so quickly, I'm still not completely there yet. My friend and I always seem to end up having coffee and discussing the fact that, actually, Greece, or maybe its just Athens, is stuck in the 1980's.

The teenagers all love 80's rock music, and nothing is simple. For example, we needed to pay our electricity bill, and so the whole of Kalithea seems to need to do the same thing. So off we go, after the obligatory coffee, to the electricity office to pay the bill. It appeared that the whole of Kalithea was also there, with the que right out of the door. And before you ask, no you can not pay on th ineternet or just post a cheque.

Last weekend I took myself off to The National Archealogical Museam in Pireaus. I thought this would be the ideal opportunityto be a culture vulture and enjoy the treasures unearthed in the harbour. So there I was enjoying the most amazing bronze sculptures, when a small old man with a wonky eye accosts me. I couldn't escape from him, because he worked at the musuem!!! He followed me arouns and told me that I should NOT be learning Greek but that I should just know it, that I needed to find a nice doctor to make me glamrous?? and that he was very lonely. It was only when a Japanease tourist approached for important photographic opportunity, that i siezed my chande and ran like the wind out of the museum and in to the street.

So having only used up 20 minutes of the afternoon set aside for musuem'ness'. I headed in to Athens, to be typical Ally and go shopping along Ermou. Mango, Zara, H & M and Marks and SSparks all have residency here, its amazing!

So we are learning that its impossible to pay any bills, that you need a guard with you when entering musuems, and also that when you go jogging its important to remember to run along side streets or else traffic is at a standstill and tooting car hors can be heard for miles as you run along in all your sweaty glory.

Have I told you how much I love living in Athens?

No comments: